Trishave Sprint Series Roll Call

A board for discussing the latest race events.

Trishave Sprint Series Roll Call

Postby StuM » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:48 pm

Anyone going for the Trishave Sprint Series at Botany Bay?

I'm registered for all four through the bulk-buy discount for Tri-NSW members.

2-Dec-12
6-Jan-13
3-Feb-13
3-Mar-13

Any hint, tips and advice most welcome.

Cheers!

Stu
StuM
User

Postby SHTark » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:08 am

Hi Stu,

The biggest tip I can give you for Kurnell is to check out the swim exit before the race. They've changed the swim course since I last raced there but it looks like the swim exit is still is the same place, which means that the rising sun is going to be a real bitch after you turn the last buoy.

So go down to the swim exit (hopefully the last buoy is more or less in place when you go down) and see if you can line it up with the swim exit and pick out a tree or set of trees (there used to be a group of I think 3 pines that were easy to recognise from the water) to use as your guides coming in. The swim exit sign they use (or at least used to use) was impossible to see with the sun in the back ground. You need something higher up like the tree tops.

Looks like transition is mostly the same too which means the first (at least) 50m or so on the bike is uphill so factor that in to how you set up your shoes. The run out of transition is on sandy grass so it's a good race to have your shoes on your bike already if you can.

Be prepared for a short sharp hill at the end of each lap of the run. It's pretty much the same as the run from the swim exit to transition.

And it's a good bike course for getting down and staying aero so try to take advantage of that.

Good luck and enjoy.

Adrian.
Train Hard, Race Harder, Party Hardest!!
SHTark
Site Admin

Postby StuM » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:05 pm

Mate, that's fantastic advice, very much appreciated! Put a few beers on the IOU!

Any chance of getting the club gear to the pool on Friday?
StuM
User

Postby SHTark » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:20 pm

I'll see if Steve is going to be there and get him to bring the gear if so. You mean race gear right?
SHTark
Site Admin

Postby StuM » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:13 pm

Yes please mate.
StuM
User

Postby StuM » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:53 pm

Thought I'd write-up a quick report on the race:

After a 4am wake-up, a quick breakfast and an hour drive, I arrived to get a slot on the second row of the car park; arrived early as parking spaces were at a premium. Registration, sticker-up the bike and helmet and then set-up transition - shoes attached to bike.

As I had plenty of time, I walked to the swim exit and looked for markers as Adrian had warned me about the low-lying sun making sighting difficult on the way back to shore; he was spot-on about the pine trees. However, the morning was overcast, and it didn't seem like the sun would make a showing. Wetsuits were optional, and most people were choosing the neoprene option, including myself.

On the way to the start-line, the announcer gave a shout to all the tri clubs, and HTC got a mention. There was a bit of a current working on the swim, which tried to push you off course, and work against you in places. A slight up-hill to transition, a semi-flying mount and then up-hill to the first turn-around over pretty rough tarmac. Adrian was again right about the bike: once the initial section away and past transition was finished, it was aero-bar position all the way. I really pushed the bike, but the occassional gust of wind was powerful enough to require a quick counter and correction.

Through transition and onto the run, but I wasn't delivering any 'go'. I cruised the first lap, and tried to pick things up for the second, but I was running lazy: uncomfortable, feeling like I should be able to put in more effort, but not able to get the accelerator down. I averaged spot-on 5min/Km for the run, but was disappointed as I felt I should have gone deeper into the pain pool.

Overall, a PB at 1:22:07 and a 38th middle-of-the-pack performance for my Age Group.
StuM
User

Postby SHTark » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:59 pm

Well done Stu. Glad the advice was of use. I forgot about the potential currents and winds, although there's not much you can do about them anyway except watch the early waves for the current (if you're in a later wave).

That course is easily a couple of minutes slower than the calm and flat Hills course @ Penrith, so I reckon you'd be looking at sub-1:20 out there.
SHTark
Site Admin

Postby StuM » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:18 pm

Thanks mate - would like to go sub 1:20, so will have to sign-up for the next Hills event!
StuM
User

Return to Triathlon and other race events