Triathlons in 2013

A board for discussing the latest race events.

Triathlons in 2013

Postby Steve Curtis » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:16 pm

Hi HTCers,

As someone who is new to triathlon, new to Australia and new to Hornsby Tri Club I've absolutely no idea what events to sign up for in 2013. Any recommendations? The only Tri I've raced was an Olympic distance in the UK last year (obviously not at the Olympics), but my main focus of 2012 was going long and slow for an ultra running race. Would be good to make Olympic distance my main focus for 2013 and see if I can find some pace from somewhere... :arrow:

Cheers, Steve
Steve Curtis
User

Postby Michael McGeachie » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:23 pm

Hi Steve,
I think if you log into the Elite Energy page they have a whole series on around the state (including Olympic Races). None of those in Sydney unfortuately. But a couple of them not too far away. - Wollongong just south of Sydney springs to mind, which is on early in the New Year I think. All the best
Michael
Michael McGeachie
User

Postby Rod » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:47 am

Hi Steve, Wollongong is the 10th of March. I've entered already.
Most of the Olympic races seem to be Feb to March.
Rod
User

Postby SHTark » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:38 am

Hi Steve,

The first three weekends of March there are 3 OD races. Sat 2nd in Canberra, Sun 10th in Wollongong, and Sun 17th in Newcastle.

I've done the Newcastle race a few times and it's a good one. The bike course is tough, several laps with 2 climbs per lap, but when you're not climbing you can get some good speed on the descents, and the course is very picturesque running along the coast.

I'm doing somewhere between zero and three of those ones (haven't entered any yet) so hopefully I'll catch you at one of them.

Cheers,
Adrian.
Train Hard, Race Harder, Party Hardest!!
SHTark
Site Admin

Postby Steve Curtis » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:24 pm

A belated thanks to you all for your excellent advice! Well, the only event I got around to signing up for was the Port Mac Half IM. Anyone else going?!?

Anyone who witnessed my swimming (aka narrowly avoiding drowning) at the aquathlons last year will question whether I'll even make it onto the bike, but I'm hopeful of getting around and not disgracing myself too much!

Hope all your training is going well...

Cheers, Steve
Steve Curtis
User

Return to Triathlon and other race events