IM Melbourne 2014

A board for discussing the latest race events.

IM Melbourne 2014

Postby Martin Garrido » Thu May 30, 2013 12:20 pm

Hi,

has someone of you entered next's year's IM Melbourne?

Did you participate in this event previous years? If yes, I'm looking for some information regarding the bike leg. I have seen it is quite flat, and on wide roads.

Is it as windy as expected?

Would you recommend a rear disc or high profile rear wheel?

40mm front wheel? 50? 60? 80? 90? ......... :)

Looking forward for some help

Thanks in advance

Regards
Oscar
Martin Garrido
User

Postby Martin » Fri May 31, 2013 10:04 am

Hi Oscar

I did the inaugural 2012 race. The bike leg is is a fast course. On the way out it has a slight incline that makes you work to keep your pace. At about 3/4 distance on the outward lap it flattens out and just before the turnaround you go through a tunnel that has a has about a 1 k decline where you can get upto 60+ km/h, with a corresponding uphill out of the tunnel before the turnaround. Then back into the tunnel and that slight incline on the outward leg becomes a slight decline on the return leg and you fly. Then the second lap.

There are exposures to any wind along the course, but there are also protection with walls and fences. I'd take all your wheels and choose on the day. If you are buying for this race then look beyond this race at what you are likely to use in the future beyond IM Melbourne.

It is a great race....enjoyed it tremendously....the run leg has a 5 km uphill at about 24 km mark that will test your resolve late in the day. If you have anyone going with you, this course is not very spectator friendly and they will need transport to get around.

Good luck with the training.

Martin Lord
Martin
User

Postby Martin Garrido » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:07 am

Hi Martin,

thanks for your inputs.

Yes, in Melbourne the conditions might be very variable, so I will go with all my stuff there.

Regards
Oscar
Martin Garrido
User

Return to Triathlon and other race events